CrossFit Over 40

WODs, Diet, Crossfit OldTown Gossip and Lifestyle Ramblings by MarkyD

Monday, April 08, 2013

The End of the Open 2013

So I took two cracks at Open workout 13.5. In attempt 1, I did what a lot of people do - came out guns blazing. How'd that work out? 1 round in <90 -="" 150="" a="" in="" p="" remaining="" right="" round="" seconds.="" seconds="" the="" then........half="" tool="" what="">
But you see that over, and over again. And knowing myself - asthma, not an endurance athlete, etc... I should have been smarter.

So for the only time in 2013, I took one more shot. I went back to the drawing board. I knew I was not going to get to 90 reps, but I thought I could do 2 rounds, 60 reps. Pacing myself out of the gate and relying on my strength - powerful intervals - was the way to go. In round 1 I did 3 sets of 5 thrusters and then 5 sets of 3 chest to bar pullups. Took me a little longer than 90 seconds, but I felt strong after that. And with about 2 minutes left to work........A CrossFit Miracle.

I picked up that barbell and banged out all 15 thrusters in round 2 without dropping. Surprised myself, and certainly any one else who knows me and was paying attention. Ended up with 59 reps after my grip went. Fell off the bar in a dramatic flair.

It's nice to outperform yourself once in a while. A great way for me to end the Open.

Next up - knee surgery, and rehab. About time.


No comments:

Post a Comment